Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Gestational Diabetes Update

I've been using insulin for 5 days now and am still having difficulty managing my blood sugar levels. It is extremely frustrating when my diet has been by the books! I am now doing 2 injections a day. I take 14 units before bed and 8 units in the morning. Even though it's just been 5 days, I'm tired of sticking myself. I test my blood sugar around 8 times a day and I really hate doing that. It hurts! The meter I use is pictured above, at least it is pink!

I'm over the fear of the injection, but I just don't like doing it. I can't wait for my ultrasound on September 22! I just need to hear again that everything looks great and she's not too big.


I feel terrible for anyone with diabetes that actually eats like they are supposed to eat. I hope there are support groups for people that are first diagnosed because it would be easy to slip into depression. You just don't realize what a big part of life food is until you have to watch every single thing you put in your mouth. I guess it's something that I'd eventually get used to, but it is depressing during pregnancy. I pray that this goes away right after I deliver and I can order Jimmy Johns...just like Emily did! I would also like to request that Aunt Kelly makes another cookie cake with lots of icing and brings it to the hospital : ) And, I don't plan on sharing it unless Hazel wants a nibble.


I go back to my Endo on Thursday for the results on some blood work he had me get done and also to check my sugar readings and how my insulin is working. I am praying that my A1c is under 6 or there's potential that I have Type II diabetes that was just diagnosed during pregnancy. And, if this is the case, it would not be good for Hazel. I'll post more after I get the results. I forgot to mention that I absolutely LOVE my Endo. Dr. Lee is amazing and has been such a comfort for me. I can tell that he truly wants the best for me and the baby and that is so meaningful!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll be sure to have that cookie cake all ready to bring to the hospital!! And it'll have even more icing! Just the way you like it! :-)

You're almost there! Keep up the good work.

L said...

this is the nurse coming out of me...but just so you know you have a high chance of becoming diabetic when your older....this gestational diabetes is an insight of your future...so continue to eat well now while you are young and able to and maybe later in life you won't have to deal with type 2 diabetes... sounds like your doing good though!!! :o)

Anonymous said...

Try to stay positive, I know it's hard! I'm praying for you and your family! I hope after you deliver the diabetes will go away for good! You are doing a great job taking care of yourself and baby Hazel!! Hugs from me!!