Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Pregnancy Updates

So, I have a few pregnancy updates. First off...it's been amazing and I still don't "feel" pregnant. I've been riding my bicycle everyday and really life hasn't changed or slowed down at all for me. I'm sure it will here soon. I went in today for my appointment at the diabetes center and they gave me insulin to have in case I need it. It's such a bummer! I have tried SO hard and eaten all of the things they told me, not cheated, written everything down, pricked myself 4 times a day and I still can't seem to manage my fasting glucose or post-meal glucose (breakfast only). If my fasting glucose is high again, I'll have to start with daily insulin injections. Luckily, it looks like it is pretty safe for Hazel if I'm on insulin...they will just have to watch her really closely after she's born as her blood sugar could potentially be very low. Also, on September 22 I will get another ultrasound to check her size and position. So, by September 22, I should have a really good idea of my due date. My hope now is that I don't get high blood pressure; however, I would get to meet her sooner! I have read that there is a link between high blood pressure and diabetes, but my doctor doesn't believe there is a link.

So, starting tomorrow I'm going to start cutting my breakfast carbs in half and just taking in more protein. I have my fingers crossed that this will work. Also, I have to start eating more protein before I go to bed to try to keep my sugars in control while I'm asleep. Yeah, more peanut butter : ) I'll keep you posted on how I do this week or sooner if I have to start the injections. I HATE needles, but I've done really well with the finger pricks!

4 comments:

Emily said...

You have done SO well Hannah! I am SO proud of you. I admire your will power and determination to do this whole gestational diabetes diet so well! There is only so much in your control and the rest is simply our bodies (and pregancy!). Take care of yourself!!

kbtoys said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kbtoys said...

You should go to Kroger and check out their diabetes section! I saw some good stuff there the other day! :-)

but the bad news: i read in the paper recently how eating a lot of pb during pregancy increases the chance of your baby being allergic to peanuts!! oh no! If I ever get married and get pregnant, I'm doomed!

Anonymous said...

You will do great! My SIL had this and she had to watch everything she ate since everything has sugar in it!! Crazy...and so unfair when you are pregnant!! I pray everything will be fine with baby Hazel and you! I can't believe the date is almost here!
Also, are you going to do a new blog for your embroidered stuff?
I can't wait to see it!
Lurker from Indy