Saturday, April 3, 2010

Pregnancy Update

Wow, it's been so long since I've posted, so I sort of went crazy today trying to catch up. Hazel has been such a good and big girl here lately. She's talking up a storm, growing like crazy and is just plain sweet (with a twist). Her 18-month appointment was great and she always flies by the milestones.

I'm still pregnant...haha! It's going so quickly, but has taken a little turn. I'm not at all ready for this baby, but may need to be soon. I've been put on strict bed rest until he is born due to a shortened cervix and pre-term labor. It's hard because I still feel absolutely perfect. Nothing hurts, I hardly look pregnant and I feel absolutely amazing. So, how could I be having a baby soon???? My doctors goal is to make it to 36 weeks. Um, that's a great goal, but mine isn't quite that high : ) Hazel was a very healthy 36 weeker, so I think even a little earlier is okay. I'm going to try though! My goal is 34 weeks....so I'm going to to all I can to get there.

Bed rest is for the birds! I can't even sit down to watch a movie, let alone lay down all day. I'm doing better with it than I thought, but it's been a little less than a week now. In my eyes...only 5 - 7 more weeks to go : ) I can do this. It is extremely hard with Hazel, actually impossible. I'm not one to need help or want help, so this is eye opening for me. My friends and family are really coming through! I'm not supposed to ever be alone, so there is typically always someone here with me.

So far I've gone one week without my cervix getting any weaker. I was thrilled! My doctor says if it gets any worse, then I'll be hospitalized until I deliver. Oh my gosh, I'd just die. I think it's bad at home, but I'd do ANYTHING to stay here and stare at my own dirty floor. My doctor let me know that I'm sort of beyond the point of any preventative treatment since our baby is 29 weeks (has over a 90% chance of survival at this time). She would not stop me if I went into full blown labor at this point, but would try to stop contractions if it would prevent labor. I'm now going weekly to the Dr. for an ultrasound, appointment and Progesterone injections. My doctor didn't think the Progesterone would do much at this point, but said we have to try all we can even just to get a few more days. I'm looking forward to those, heard how wonderful they feel!

I've already been given the Betamethasone shot to develop his lungs. This is given if they feel you will deliver before 34 weeks. After 34 weeks, lungs should be developed enough for the baby to breathe on its own. So, we are doing all we can to keep this baby in several more weeks! But, I know when he comes is the perfect time and he is ready : ) Legs crossed that he's not ready for a while!

Keep us in your thoughts and prayers as this changes so much for our family. It's a whole new dynamic around here. Darryl is going to work, grocery shopping, doing laundry, taking care of Hazel.........EVERYTHING! And, I hate just laying there watching him be so busy : (

2 comments:

Greg, Cari & Elli Nicholson said...

Oh Hannah! I can't even imagine! I'm praying for you and the whole family! I hope the next few weeks fly by (in a really good way)!!

L said...

Just wanted to say although I can't imagine bedrest... My son was born at 34 weeks and even though you had a healthy 36 weeker , 34 may not be so healthy . My son was born at 34 weeks and considered a healthy 34 weeker however he turned blue and began to stop breathing multiple times, luckily only a 2 week nicu stay, required physical therapy and now speech therapy amount other issues. As hard has it may be keep that baby cooking as long as possible the long term effects far out weigh the awful bedrest!